Friday 16 May 2014

Why is Misty Island Rescue more unrealistic than The Great Discovery?

Hi guys. There's something that bugs me, and I hope to get some answers. The Great Discovery and Misty Island Rescue are two great Thomas movies in my opinion, although some hate Misty Island Rescue (MIR) and love The Great Discovery (TGD). I can understand that, but I'll get to that later. What I'm asking is, why is Misty Island Rescue more unrealistic than The Great Discovery?



Let's start with the first, The Great Discovery. It's a great, heart warming movie. But you can't say it's not unrealistic, but it belongs in the S8-11 era after all. What bugs me most is the mine. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it! But surely Thomas' crew would die during the whole thing. You'd think his crew isn't there, but after Thomas stops, he whistles, so they are there. If I remember correctly, you see them beside him too. Also, Thomas rolling over... His crew probably wouldn't die, but they'd get badly hurt. How Thomas even managed to float in the flooded mine is beyond me. It's impossible. He's a heavy engine; he'd sink. Flying out of the waterfall and onto firm ground is impossible too.

Now Misty Island Rescue. It's a great action-packed movie destroyed by rhyming. I ignore the rhyming, so I like it. You can't say it's not action-packed. Lost at sea, hanging off cliffs, trapped in a collapsing underground tunnel. If you don't call that epic, you don't know what epic is. I understand that people hate the rhyming in it, I do too, but surely there must be another reason? If you only hate it because of the rhyming, you're probably a noob.

But then there's Misty Island and the Logging Locos. That makes it more understandable, but think of the plot. The plot itself is great. Thomas is going to the Mainland, gets lost at sea on a raft, ends up on a mysterious island, and the only way back home is a dangerous underground tunnel. You can't say the idea is bad. That's what makes me like it. I don't care about the bad stuff. Just ignore it and think of the plot as a whole.

But what I'm saying is, Misty Island Rescue is NOT more unrealistic than The Great Discovery. There's nothing in MIR that would make Thomas' crew die immidiately. In TGD it is.

I don't expect people to start looking differently at MIR because of this. I've tried so many times that I've given up. But I just want to clarify that you can't say that MIR is less realistic than TGD.

Also, just remember, I don't hate TGD. It may sound like I do, but I don't. Just putting out facts people may not have thought about.

-Alex

3 comments:

  1. The reason the crew could die in the tunnel is because of the smoke causing carbon monoxide poisoning, which could kill easily. Not only that, but the zip line bridge could very easily collapse due to Thomas' weight, destroying him and, again, killing the crew. Then there's Diesel hanging on the way he did. In reality, he'd follow the trucks over the edge leading to similar results. And the Shake Shake Bridge? Yeah... :P

    I'm not going to defend TGD's lack of realism, and I agree with what you bought up. But it told a stronger, coherent story without needing to rhyme, alliterate or feel repetitive. And the characters feel more fleshed out than they do in MIR (to be honest, MIR felt like a huge toy commercial).

    ReplyDelete
  2. TGD does have a stronger story. It's very heart warming. MIR is definately far from perfect, not only because of the obvious. There are so many scenes that last for only 20-30 seconds on Sodor, which are so boring. Annoying dialogue too, especially Thomas, also ignoring the obvious. But still I like it for some reason :P

    I don't really have any problems with TGD, apart from the "crew unrealism" and no special soundtrack (apart from TYTL). So thinking it through, I don't really know why I like MIR more than TGD... :P Must be because of the slightly higher amount of action

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked, LOVED both the films, and still do. What I hate in MIR, is Bash and Company! And there's nothing (for me) to hate in TGB. But, After reading so many bad reviews, I changed my opinion a bit, only a bit. But, I still LOVE them. And about realism... When you know Barlow and Miller are not gonna give it to you - why do you expect? When I saw any Miller/Barlow Episodes, I kept my exectations, real low. REAL LOW, and you know what? I REALLY ENJOYED them! Yes, Yes I did. except Wonky Whistle and some others, obviously!

    ReplyDelete